Re: How to display CMYK tiffs correctly?

On Fri, Dec 17, 2004 at 12:42:24PM +0100, Piotr Kopszak wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Has anyone managed to display correctly CMYK tiffs on screen  using
> any of Debian programs? I tried gimp, display, pornview and it seems
> they all think it's RGB.

You need something that understands colour profiles.

There are probably only two ways.

The easiest method is to use tiff2pdf (part of libtiff-tools) and then
use the lastest version of acroread (not any other viewer) to look at
it.

If you need more control, then you must use tifficc, which is part of
the excellent little cms colour management library.

You also will need to download a set of standard colour profiles from
Adobe - just google for it.

then use this command:

tifficc -i /path/to/cmyk_image_profile -o /path/to/monitor_rgb_profile \
        -p path/to/cmyk_proof_intent_profile cmyk_image.tif \
        rgb_image.tif

cheers

dc

--
David Purton
dcpurton@chariot.net.au

For the eyes of the LORD range throughout the earth to
strengthen those whose hearts are fully committed to him.
                                 2 Chronicles 16:9a