Re: dist-upgrade to sarge

Jianan wrote:

> I was able to use the sarge cd #1 to do a dist-upgrade. I mounted the cd
> with
>
> mount /dev/hdc -t iso9660 /mnt
>
> Then I add a line to sources.list to read from /mnt
>
> Then apt-get update followed by apt-get dist-upgrade
>
> Everything seems to go smoothly. When I reboot, the KDE login screen
> appears. After login, screen-centered  window with a big 'debian' logo
> appears. At the bottom left was some icon, at the bottom middle was
> 'window manager'. No matter where I click the mouse within the window, the
> screen goes blank and stays blank.

Sarge spans roughly a dozen CDs. Probably what happened is you had
insufficient packages on the first CD to upgrade everything, so the upgrade
didn't finish cleanly.

I would suggest using an online Debian source to finish your upgrade (just
keep using dist-upgrade until it doesn't want to upgrade anything anymore).

> I have to do a alt-ctrl-f1 to get back to command-line mode. I wanted to
> re-do a dist-upgrade. But when I try to mount the cd using the same
> command as above, it failed , saying the kernel does not support iso9660
> filesystem!

This is strange. Perhaps the module isn't loaded, or there's a conflict
between kernel and userland?

> I noticed that I am still booting up in 2.6.3 kernel eventhough sarge is
> supposed to use 2.6.8.

Unless it is a Debian update to the same kernel version (i.e. -5 instead of
-4), kernels are not normally automatically upgraded in Debian. You can
setup this behavior by installing a kernel virtual package, such as
kernel-image-2.6-386 (notice the lack of any minor revision number).

Adam