Re: Home Network

* Vin Jacob <vinjacob+debian-user@gmail.com> [2004 Dec 17 06:52 -0600]:
> What is a good setup for two machines, Desktop P3 650 256MB RAM +
> Laptop 2.6MHz 512 RAM ?
>
> The laptop is almost just to my liking, sid running a custom compiled
> 2.6.9. I have an internal winmodem in the laptop, which works. All I
> have right now is dial-up. On the desktop I have another USR Serial
> modem as well, although I do not have a network card in there yet.
> Planning to buy one soon.

Almost two years ago I picked up a Linksys 10/100 NC100U Ver 2 PCI
ethernet card from Walmart well worth the money.  It uses the Tulip
driver and works flawlessly on Sarge.  On my laptop I have 10 meg
Megahertz PCMCIA card that just works and I have a Linksys 802.11a-g
card that I had to build the Madwifi driver for.

Since multi-function switches are so cheap, I would recommend getting
one instead of a simple hub.  I picked up a Gigafast broadband switch
from eBay a year or so ago and it works with my dial-up modem and will
work with the new wireless DSL I hope to get early next year.  It also
acts as my print server and supports the LPR protocol.  For the
Wireless I picked up a cheap Linksys wireless switch.  Both of these
units support DHCP to get an address from your ISP and a DHCP server
for the workstations on your LAN.  Both allow assigning a specific
address to a specific MAC address so I can utilize static name
resolution through /etc/hosts.  The Gigafast has a built-in firewall
which helps.

> I would highly appreciate some cues as to what would be an appropriate
> set up for this, in terms of networking, splitting tasks between the
> two machines etc. I currently have exim4, firehol, apache, squid etc.
> running well on this laptop. My /var/cache/apt has 3.1G of sarge/sid packages
> which I painfully downloaded over a dial-up at measly speeds. Need to
> put that to good use as well.

I run mail independently on each machine and sometime I'll investigate
how best to sync them.  For .deb package sharing I simply set up NFS
between my laptop and desktop and copy the package files over to the
specific NFS share.  I use the desktop as a Subversion repository for
things like my Web pages and some other small stuff that I will work on
with either machine.

HTH,

- Nate >>

  Amateur radio exams; ham radio; Linux info @  | free since January 1998.