Re: Sound problem.

Thomas Sjölin wrote:

I have a problem with sound under debian woody.

Just installed over the net and everything is running fine, except the
sound.

When I start X I get this message:

-------
Sound server informational message

Error while initializing the sound driver:
Device /dev/dsp can't be opened (No such device)

The sound server will continue, using the null output device
-------

In /dev I find dsp, dps1, dsp2 and dsp3 all set to crw-rw----

I might have done something wrong during installation when the sound
configuration was up. However, I don't quite remember. Used tasksel to
chose most things to install, only things I added with dselect was
mysql, and php4. So you know what kind of packages I have installed.

How do I correct this? I don't NEED sound but it would be nice to have
it working.

FWIW, I've NEVER managed to get sound working in debian without recompiling the kernel to include the core sound module (sndcore?) in the kernel itself. I've been using debian since 1996, and that is the only thing that has ever worked for me.

I've read the replies from Nicos Gollan, Andreas Janssen and Eric van der Paardt, and I know I've tried all of those solutions in the past without success. Always that same "Device /dev/dsp can't be opened (No such device)" message. So if their solutions don't work for you, try mine and I think it will work.

Of all the things one has to set up in debian, sound is the hardest to get working. Why is that, people? Is it a Swedish thing (I notice the original poster is in Sweden like myself) :-)?

--
Best regards,

Peter Hugosson-Miller

  .~.