Re: simple IMAP mail server to install/setup

On Wed, Dec 15, 2004 at 11:20:24PM -0800, Rodney D. Myers wrote:
> I'm looking at trying to install an IMAP mail server.
>
> Which one(s) are fairly simple to install/setup/configure?
>
> Looking at "practicing" getting one installed, for future reference.

I use Cyrus IMAP. It isn't terribly difficult to get working, and I find it
quite easy to administer. Simple user administration and quota support, as well
as SIEVE scripting support, are really nice.

Unlike Courier, however, it does not support mail in local user accounts. All
mail is stored in a set of Cyrus-specific directories in /var. It's really
designed for high volume systems with a large number of users that may or may
not have access to shell accounts.