Re: mounting cd-rw

Apparently, _jack kinnon_, on 16/12/04 21:40,typed:
I havd tried that. It doesn't help.
Let's start from the beginning. If I have a blank cd-rw that I want to use in Linux. Do I have to do any steps before even attempting to mount it? I had assumed that all I need is to mount it and then do the file copying. Have I missed a step or two, like formatting, for instance? Jack

Let us take it step by step:

1) Find out what is your ATAPI device number of your writer using the following command:
$> cdrecord -scanbus dev=ATAPI

This will list the number corresponding to your CDROM drives. If you have only on drive, it will be 0,0,0, and if you have two drives and the CDwriter is the second drive, it will be 0,1,0. In any case, this command will give you the ATAPI number. Let us assume it is 0,0,0 for our purposes.

2) Blank your CD (I only guess you have to blank it prior to writing on it) using the following command:
$> cdrecord -v blank=all dev=ATAPI:0,0,0

This will take some time. If you want to be fast, then use "blank=fast" option instead.

3) Assuming you have already made your image using the mkisofs command (let me know how if you are not sure about this) and the image ISO file is named as cd.iso, burn the ISO image to your CD:
$> cdrecord -eject -v -pad dev=ATAPI:0,0,0 cd.iso

And lo and behold, your CD will be ready after the burn process is complete.

GL,
->HS
PS: This may not work if you are using 2.6.8 kernel. Should work in 2.6.7 kernel and probably will also work in 2.6.9 kernel.