Re: mounting cd-rw

jack kinnon wrote:

> Let's start from the beginning. If I have a blank cd-rw that I want to use
> in Linux. Do I have to do any steps before even attempting to mount it? I
> had assumed that all I need is to mount it and then do the file copying.
> Have I missed a step or two, like formatting, for instance?

So you are attempting to use a CD-RW as a regular read/write media, in a
manner similar to that provided by Windows XP and certain CD writer
packages. AFAIK, Linux has no program that provides this capability.

Instead, you must use a regular CD writing program (such as K3B). You only
need to 'format' the disk when you want to erase it (through your CD writer
program), and you only need to mount the CD when you are trying to read it
(after it has been written to).

Adam