gnome file picker

hi folks, trying out a couple of gnome programs that seem to use the
"gnome file picker" for file selection (i'm running the xfce desktop,
not gnome).  I find this incredibly frustrating to use, as it doesn't
have a command line to type in & doesn't show dotfiles.

I am looking for a way to set preferences for the file picker, but
don't see any such options in the gnome-control-center.  Anyone know a
trick?  If this can'tbe done, seems like a serious usability problem!

matt

 .''`.       Matt Price
: :'  :      Debian User
`. `'` 	     & hemi-geek