Re: gimp / bitstream Vera Sans Bold

Hello

Peter.Robinson@t-online.de (<Peter.Robinson@t-online.de>) wrote:

> I have a testing distribution of Debian on a Dell precision 340 and
> have not been able to get gimp or mozilla to run. Mozilla crashes with
> a warning about a memory access error, and gimp exits with a warning
> that it cannot open the font file for Vera sans.

I don't know if this will solve all your problems, but here is a quick
explanation on how to install the missing bitstream fonts:

1. apt-get install ttf-bitstream-vera x-ttcidfont-conf
2. Add the following line to the "Files" section of your
/etc/X11/XF86Config-4:
FontPath        "/var/lib/defoma/x-ttcidfont-conf.d/dirs/TrueType"
(If you use xfs, you can also configure xfs accordingly)
3. (optional) dpkg-reconfigure fontconfig
If asked for the bitmap fonts, choose "No". This will make fontconfig
select the bitstream fonts as default for serif, sans-serif and
monospace aliases.

You should also be able to tell gimp to use another font, probably by
changing your ~/.gtkrc-2.0 or ~/.gtkrc-2.0.mine, either manually or by
running "switch2" from the gtk-theme-switch package.

best regards
 Andreas Janssen

PGP-Key-ID: 0xDC801674 ICQ #17079270
Registered Linux User #267976