RE: howto know if raid is really working?

At Wednesday, 15 December 2004, Alvin Oga <aoga@ns.Linux-Consulting.
com> wrote:

>On Wed, 15 Dec 2004, Harland Christofferson wrote:
>
>> I am curious about how to know if it is working. If cat-ting /proc/mdstat

>> is knowing all about the raid array, then so-be-it.
>
>when you think its working ..
>
>power down .. pull one disk out ...
>	power up .. write a 2GB or 4GB file on the degraded array
>	and wait for it to finish, and power down
>
>stick the first disk back in and see that when it powers up,
>that it will resync the new 4GB file onto the 2nd disk
>
>do the same with each of the other disk  pulled out ..
>
>if it always resync ... its working
>
>if you have to touch the keyboard to make it work,
>than its NOT working
>	only "cat /proc/mdstat" is allowed
>	any other raid commands says the raid is not working
>
>c ya
>alvin

but, what if i write a file to /dev/hda6 (/home), then i mount /dev/hdc6
to /mnt/hdc6 ... should i see the newly written file in the same
place on /mnt/hdc6 as was written on /dev/hda6 ?

Zero Crossings, Inc. -- Embedded and Digital Signal Processing Systems

http://www.zerocrossings.com/