Re: Hardware hassles: Linux vs. Windows - kernels

On Wed, 15 Dec 2004, Paul Johnson wrote:

> > when you play with linux, you have 2**N possible kernels
> > where "N" is the various modules that is turned on or off
>
> No, still one kernel, different drivers.

i suppose, in my view, "one linux kernel", but with the gazillion
modules, which makes the kernel different enough, that the install
kernel doesn't recognize some hardware permutations due to
missing modules (drivers) or misconfigured modules.conf or equiv files

	- as long as there is a module ( driver for the hardware ),
	ALL hardware should be recognized without any problems

	- even if it is recognized, what default config options
	is used is a separate ballgame

	- evil empire way: we do it for you "OK"
	( you usually have no choice )

c ya
alvin