Re: Limiting Disck Cache

Ivan Garcia Sainz-Aja wrote:
how can i limit the amount of this cache linux uses?

     I can only think of one reason why one would want to do this...

i'm using an external usb hd for playing movies/mp3 but
after a time of usage the memory becomes full and the system virtually unusable and i got to umount/mount the drive to keep working

     ...and this isn't one of them*.  I don't think that the cache is your
problem.  Cache, for all intents and purposes, can be considered free memory
when it comes to applications.  RAM is used for cache only when it isn't being
used for anything else.  If something else needs memory and there is no free
memory cache is freed and given over to the application.  The time it takes to
do this is insignificant.  The reason for your slowdowns must lie somewhere else.

* A machine whose sole purpose is to host UMLs being the one case I can think
of that would require the OS to not use cache.  This is because the UMLs
themselves are caching the files thus there is no need for the host OS to
cache the same files.