Re: Hardware hassles: Linux vs. Windows

On Wed, 15 Dec 2004, Christian Convey wrote:

> I don't think I agree.  I'm talking about cases where a good driver
> exists in both Windows and Linux.  My question is: given an existing
> good driver, why is there more manual work to get a device like a
> trackball useable under Linux rather than Windows?

because when you play with windoze, you only have one kernel

when you play with linux, you have 2**N possible kernels
where "N" is the various modules that is turned on or off

and since no one, a major customer with $$$, dictated your
configuration defaults, everybody will use their own set of
default config options which may or may not work
with other distros with different defaults and assumptions

there are say over 2,000 linux distro... each with their own
kernel ... no two distro is using the identical kernel
whilest, the big bad wolf in seattle only has 1 kernel to test
against

some of their policies and proceedures for "mass production"
works great as has been shown for 20 yrs ...
	- linux being a "competitor" will have to learn
	some "consumer oriented mass production" techniques
	in order to dethrown the big bad wolf

sun/hp ... control both sw and hw ... so they dont have any problems
and they too dictate to their vendors what gets delivered

dell/compaq/gateway delivers a preconfigured box ...

c ya
alvin

<fuzzy crystal ball prediction>
gateway will be bought out by a big or small fish to merge
with a linux distro to keep both entities alive
</crystal ball>

the business news was leaking a "dangling carrots" that sun is
looking to buy a linux distro