exim mailscanner interaction

Hi -

I'm migrating a 100-ish user mail service with split-queue exim +
mailscanner + spamassassin + virus scanner from Solaris to Debian sarge
in hopes of reducing support workload.  It nearly works but for this,
MailScanner in debug mode says:

Cannot create + lock clean body
/var/spool/exim4/input/f/1CebZf-0001e4-G1-D,  at
/usr/share/MailScanner/MailScanner/EximDiskStore.pm line 370

It seems to want to create its output in a pre-existing subdirectory "f"
(or other letter or number).  I can create the sub-directories, in which
case everything works for a while, but exim either eats them at startup,
or when the queue-runner erm, runs.  From the exim source code:  /* We
must ensure all files are removed from both the input directory and the
appropriate subdirectory, to clean up cases when there are odd files
left lying around in odd places.  [...] */

As of this afternoon's apt-get update it runs exim4 4.34-8 and
mailscanner 4.36.4-1

Have I missed something?  What is the Right Thing to do?

- Dan

--
o= Daniel V. P. Wade      -    -     -    -  =o
|  School of Physical Sciences & Engineering  |

--
This message has been scanned on otto for
viruses and dangerous content by MailScanner,