Re: Re: knoppix HD-install problem

thanks for every body,
Ok, andreas,

the problem is the Debian installer, and specially the aptitude, is very dificult for the novie, I asked many times the developper to insert something like anaconda, refuse ???!!! any way, I use knoppix only for the the first installation ( recognition of the hardwares , graphics ...) after that I complete the installation. I am a teacher and try to find the more simple installation for my students. So I am trying more distos ( I used RH very fine for new user, I preferre Debian, my big problem is the installer).

Now coming back to the initial problem, this is what I  did completly:

I used RH 9.0 : linux rescue ( the installer of debian, doesn't have a rescue from a CD?? I HAVE TO FIND ONE to test with) , the first problem: No partition linux detected , of course it exists : fdisk /dev/hda gives the linux partitions and the swap
it gives a shell prompt:   I creat a mount point /mnt/sys
and mount /dev/hda1 /mnt/sys
chroot /mnt/sys this was doing correctly
I ran lilo
The output is :
/dev/mapper/control : no such device
Is device-mapper device missing from kernel, Incompatiblelibdevmapper and kernel --------------------> I think here the because kernel of RH9.0 and knoppix (2.4 ) is not compatible
/proc/partitions doesn't exists   ?????

added linux *
added linux (2.4)-1
added linux (2.6)-2

So the file lilo.conf is read and the lilo is installed !!??

Now I can access to my machine like this
init 5
su - bela  ( the count is created at the installation)
startx

and every thing is fine

so the problem is only how to start the kernel

thank you for help
bela