Re: Woody & Nforce 2 Chipset Mainboard Drivers - Frustrating

On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 10:01:36 +1100
"Byron Hillis" <b_hillis@optusnet.com.au> wrote:

> Hi everybody,
>
> Newbie here...but learning.
>
> I'm trying to get the Nvidia Nforce 2 Drivers running on a pretty
> standard Debian
> Woody Install. I'm running the 2.4.18 kernel (the optional one in
> Woody(bf24), and
> the installer tells me that the kernel is not supported so I need to
> specify the
> source path.
>
> So I got the source for my kernel, all unpacked, ran the installer
> again with source
> path specified and now it tells me that I need to provide the source
> output path.
>
> I can't find any reference to this anywhere so can someone please give
> me some
> guidance?
>
> Does someone have an Nforce motherboard working properly with Debian
> at all?

I was never successful at getting Woody to load on a NForce2 motherboard
when I tried over a year ago. I found it easiest to compile the drivers
after installing at least a base system and installing a base system
seemed next to impossible without the drivers.

Instead I'm running Sarge and everything works great. The new
Debian-Installer comes with the proper drivers (including the driver for
ethernet!) and loads them before the installation ever starts. You might
try download a copy of D-Irc2 and using that to install Debian. It will
install much smoother than Woody, and Sarge is getting pretty close to a
release date.

HTH,
Jacob