gnome logins

Hi,

I really need a hand fixing gnome 2.8 after a
dit-upgrade yesterday. I'm downloading kde as this
problem is a show stopper in the library lab at the
school in which I teach - and people need to use these
machines.

* we use winbind/pam/nt server for auth for our debian
terminal server

* our usernames have spaces in (!)

* all was fine with gnome 2.4 and 2.6

* gnome 2.8 gconf paths /etc/gconf/2/path don't seem
to support spaces in $(HOME)

= no logins to gnome after dist-upgrade

Does anyone have any ideas please on a workaround for
now...?

Rolling back to gnome 2.6 would also be fine. Better
than no login for users!

Thanks

--
Matt Johnson