RE: webmin sendmail not working Debian Woody

On Mon, 13 Dec 2004, Steven Jones wrote:

> piffle...sendmail works fine, real easy to add in clamav/clamav-milter

...and rootkits :-)

as well, far easier than postfix.

eh six of one and half a dozen of the other I suppose.  I've used
sendmail, exim, and postfix.  I prefer postfix.  None of them are
particularly hard for everyday uses.  But Postfix's more modern design
make me feel better.

> MS's NT stands for "new technology" are you suggesting because its
> "newer" than unix we should swap to it?

No newness isn't a good reason.  Which is why I used the word modern.
Sendmail is a crufty mess oatched up with lots of bandaids (the .mc versus
.cf thing being a prime example.) For historical reasons it had to be that
way but we have learnt things since then.

> Also the webmin sendmail (o) options in Sarge 3.1 edits the sendmail.cf
> directly and not the .mc, so when you run sendmailconfig or if the
> sendmail.cf package is updated via apt-get etc the options get lost....
>
> Also the updates are wiping the LOCAL_CONFIG addons to sendmail.mc, so all in all I would suggest avoiding 3.1 at present.
>
> So its too buggy to trust, IMHO.

Oh crap, that's not good.  Could you file a bug report please?

--
Jaldhar H. Vyas <jaldhar@debian.org>