Re: Partition Resizing2

On Monday 13 December 2004 15:36, debian-user-digest-request@lists.debian.org
wrote:
> > QTparted is a very dangerous program.
>
> Rubbish, unless you can provide some evidence?

In PartitionMagic (costs $), you set up your steps and then commit. Worked
perfectly first time out. QTparted looks like it works like this but I found
it fouls up. One step can be done but then things are not so well behaved.
Leaving the program can leave problems at this point. The main thing is that
the partitions must be 100%  perfect before one starts with either program.
If there be any problems, they will fail. Best case, this failure prevents
them from starting  up in the first place.

I had QTparted kill a disk. Maybe it was my fault.

I do need to resize some partitions because of (seemingly) overlaping cylinder
boundaries. Neither progrm will eat these partitions any longer some I am
"protected". QTparted aborts now complaining about boundary conditions. Fdisk
(Linux) likes it just fine. PM will crash. Certainly builds confidence.

Best advice is to back up first, even if both programs be absolutely perfect.
Linux is very tolerant in reading various file system types. There is more to
the disk geometry than what gets displayed in Fdisk and QTparted, etc. I have
noticed: PM will complain about partitions set up with fdisk and visa-versa.
Both programs will complain about disk geometries having  been created
elsewhere. PM will offer to "correct" certain items--best not to take it up
on that :-).