Raid Array stays Dirty

After Setting up my RAID5 Array (4x 40gb drives) i got 120GB free space
and everything seemed ok, then after restart i was told that i had a
failure on a non-existant drive and the array rebuilt itself, not a big
deal in itself.

Since then its only got 111gb (Where did 9gb go?) and constantly says
that the array is dirty, even after its been rebuilt.

How can i "clean" the array so that it doesnt say dirty anymore + does
anyone have an explenation as to where some of my memory (9gb) went ( +
how to recover it)

Thanks.

P.S CC me as i'm not on the debian-user list