Re: Conversion PDF->WMF

On Sat, Dec 11, 2004 at 11:48:52AM -0500, Michael Marsh wrote:
} On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 18:36:26 -0500, Gregory Seidman
} <gsslist+debian@anthropohedron.net> wrote:
} > Because of unpleasant requirements at work, I am producing diagrams in a
} > Windows program that has no export capabilities at all. I can print,
                             ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
} > however, and I am using the free PDFCreator project from sourceforge to
} > generate PDFs. This is all well and good, but I now need to insert these
} > diagrams in Word and modify them, which sucks.
}
} Since noone else has asked this:  You're using a Windows-based program
} to make diagrams that should go in Word.  Does this program allow you
} to save the files, and if so, what format does it use?  If it doesn't
} allow you to save files, that seems really strange.
[...]

The program in question is MS SQL Server's Enterprise Manager, and the
diagrams are tables with foreign key constraints. There is no way to save
it as anything other than part of the database as a whole, which is why I
said it has no export capabilities (see above).

} I can understand why you'd want to do as little of the work in Windows
} as possible, but it sounds like you're forced to do at least 90% of it
} that way to begin with, so trying to use Linux for the last part might
} not be worth the effort.

There are two reasons to do it in Linux. The first is that everything I can
show my supervisors/bosses/customers can be done in a better/faster/easier
way on Linux is good for advocacy. The second is that I am much more likely
to find free tools to do what I need from the FOSS world than on Windows. I
am fairly certain that I can find an export-to-whatever plugin for Acrobat,
but I am also fairly certain that it would cost money; there is no budget
available for such things.

} Michael A. Marsh
} http://www.umiacs.umd.edu/~mmarsh

Hurray for UMD, my alma mater!