Re: Installing sarge with basedebs.tar

On Sat, Dec 11, 2004 at 12:11:06PM -0500, cga2001@eml.cc wrote:

> On Wed, 8 Dec 2004 16:38:25 -0500, "Joey Hess" <joeyh@debian.org> said:
> > cga2001@eml.cc wrote:
> > > understand is the soon-to-be official "sarge" release..) and I could not
> > > find the basedbs.tar file.
> >
> > There's no such animal for sarge.
> >
> > > I also noticed that the section "Installing
> > > Debian GNU/linux from a UNIX/linux System" in the "testing" Installation
> > > Guide does not exist.
> >
> > Sure it does. http://d-i.alioth.debian.org/manual/en.i386/apcs04.html
> >
> > --
> > see shy jo
>
> I have an additional question.
>
> It appears that debootstrap uses wget. I believe that wget is able to
> recover from an interrupted download - doesn't download again the files
> that were downloaded during a prior run - unless their timestamps were
> modified on the server.. a bit like "make" works regarding compiles.
>
> I was wondering if this is also the case with debootstrap?
>
> The reason I'm asking is that the sarge base system is rumored to be
> some 100Meg+ and this should take some 10-12 hours trickling down my
> rather flimsy dialup pipe..
>
> If not, is there a way I can concurrently save the result of the
> download some place in case I mess the subsequent install... so as to
> avoid running a second (3rd.. 4th.. etc.) download.. should I need to
> start over... Or should I make a full backup of my root/base filesystem
> immediately after running debootstrap?
>
> Only doc I've read is the rather terse debootstrap man page and would
> gladly read other docs if available..
>
> Or.. finally.. is there a method that's better adapted to dialup than
> "debootstrap --arch i386 sarge /mnt/deb.... http://debian.org/.. etc"
> when attempting to download sarge from the mirrors.. where I could
> download the packages one at a time for instance?
>
> NB. Due to the volume on this list and my limited quotas.. I had to
> unsubscribe. Is there any place I can view your replies - if any..?? Or
> would you be so kind as to cc: me on this..?? <cga2001.at.eml.dot.cc>
>
> Thanks.
> cga

The new net install system is currently the best Debian has for install
over small pipes. If you can get the iso image of net install downloaded
and burnt to CD, you can get the rest of the stuff you need by using it.
Even if you can't get it downloaded over your pipe, I recommend that you
try to purchase a copy of it from some vendor, and use it to download
the rest. Sarge is not yet stable enough that you want to try to run it
purely from CD, You need access to download updates over the internet.

If the forgoing seems to imply that net install is not very good, that
is mistaken. It is the best that Debian has because it is the best,
period. You should not delay starting to use it, unless your internet
pipe is totally disfunctional.

All modern download systems use a layered system of error checking and
recovery methods. Net install uses the best that are available.

Go for it!

--
Paul E Condon
pecondon@mesanetworks.net