Kaffe complains I'm using the wrong language

Am I doing something wrong?  Or is there a problem with the way kaffe has been set up for Debain?

When I try to compile a bunch of .java files, it tells me

javac -classpath classes -sourcepath server:tactics -d classes server/Game.java server/GameFactory.java GamePort.java GameClient.java server/GameServer.java tactics/Character.java tactics/Const.java tactics/Game.java tactics/Maps.java tactics/TacticsClient.java tactics/action/Action.java tactics/action/Move.java tactics/GameFactory.java
at.dms.util.InconsistencyException: Wrong source language in options
   at at.dms.kjc.KjcEnvironment.getSourceVersion (KjcEnvironment.java:80)
   at at.dms.kjc.Main.run (Main.java:121)
   at at.dms.kjc.Main.compile (Main.java:70)
   at at.dms.kjc.Main.main (Main.java:61)

I haven't specified a source language, except as .java file types, and I thought kaffe was suppoed to be a java compiler.

-- hendrik