Re: X.org <-----> Xfree

On Fri, 2004-12-10 at 10:05 +0000, Jon Dowland wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 09, 2004 at 07:40:53PM +0200, Micha Feigin wrote:
> > The three points I know of why X.Org is better:
> >

> > 2. X.Org has real transparency support (I think its called
> >    translucency in this context).
>
> Eeww..

They aren't holding electrodes to your privates, making you use
transparency/translucency.

How about these features, instead:
   o Freetype was updated to version 2.1.8. ... therefore, X11R6.8.1
     will by default use the version of freetype2 that is installed
     on the system.
   o  The XTT font module and FreeType1 have been retired because
      FreeType2 subsumes their functionality
   o  Retire old PS Type1 font rasterizer (except for CID font
      usage) since the FreeType2 rasterizer now handles PS Type1
      (*.pfa, *.pfb)
   o Updated SiS driver
   o Render acceleration for ATI's R100 and R200-series cards
   o Substantial speedups in the software implementation of the render
     extensions when compiled with gcc 3.4 on the i386 architecture.
   o Infrastructure for rotation support in drivers
   o New Trapezoid specification for the Render extension

        o Respecify Render to include only 'normal' traps

        o Allow backward compatibility but internally covert to new format

   o Software mouse cursor is now based on the Damage extension

   o A new keyboard driver is enabled by default. The old driver
     is disabled unless explicitly compiled in by defining the macro
     USE_DEPRECATED_KEYBOARD_DRIVER

   o Extensions can be enabled/disabled from the configuration file
     and from the command line

X11R6.8.1 includes four new extensions:

      XFixes
            The XFixes extension is a collection of improvements for defi-
            ciencies in the core protocol, including

               o Notification when a selection changes

               o Server-side region objects

               o Allow clients to track the cursor image

      Damage
            The Damage extension allows a client to be notified whenever
            something is drawn to a window. This feature is useful for VNC
            servers, for screen magnifiers, and for clients using the Compos-
            ite extension to update the screen.

      Composite (experimental)
            The Composite extension allows a client to request that all draw-
            ing to window is redirected to off-screen buffer. Though the Dam-
            age extension the client, called a 'compositing manager', can
            know which areas of a window is modified and render the windows
            on screen. By making use of the drawing requests from both the
            core protocol and the RENDER extension, the compositing manager
            can create special effects, such as translucennt windows.

            The Composite extension is considered experimental in X11R6.8.1
            and is turned off by default.

      XEvIE (X Event Interception Extension) (experimental)
            XEvIE is an extension to intercept core keyboard and pointing
            device input It allows consumation, modification or synthesis of
            input events before these are sent to their final destination
            (i.e., interested clients). This feature is required by the GNOME
            accessibility project.

            The XEvIE extension is considered experimental in X11R6.8.1 and
            is turned off by default.

Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson, LA USA

"The mass of ignorant Negroes still breed carelessly and
disastrously, so that the increase among Negroes, even more than
the increase among whites, is from that portion of the population
least intelligent and fit, and least able to rear their children
properly."
W.E.B. DuBois, 1932