Re: LPGETSTATUS returned a port status of 18... --- Can anyone decipher this?

> CUPS appears to be successfully configured, but there is _no_
> output.

[snip]

> The printer is a brand-new Samsung SCX-4100 laser-based multifunction

Since this was the only message I found about Samsung SCX-4100 and I
happen to figure out how to make mine work I've decided to pay Usenet
back and post my solution in hope it will help future SCX owners.

My system: Debian 3.1 Sarge, kernel 2.4.26-1-386, kde 3.1.2,
cupsys 1.1.20final+rc.

The CD that came with the printer didn't have a Linux driver so I
downloaded it from the Samsung site. Unfortunately, can't give the URL
to the driver - it won't work, you have to browse through the site.
Start here: http://www.samsung.com/download/index.aspx

The file name I downloaded is
20041109110759968_DriversPack-1[1].0.151-wowhit.tar.gz

Since my distro is not rpm based the install programm cursed a few
times. It also screwed up a few things:
- it added the following line to /etc/modules:
options parport_pc io=0x378 irq=7 dma=3
which made lp0 stop working and put these messages to syslog every
time parport module was (re)loaded:
kernel: parport 0x378 (WARNING): CTR: wrote 0x0c, read 0xff
kernel: parport 0x378 (WARNING): DATA: wrote 0xaa, read 0xff
kernel: parport 0x378: You gave this address,but there is
probably no parallel port there!
- it made /usr/bin/lpr a symbolic link to Samsung's lpr utility -
/usr/bin/slpr.

To fix:
=======
1) Some SCX's libs require /usr/lib/libstdc++-libc6.2-2.so.3, it's a
part of libstdc++2.10-glibc2.2 package, install it:
apt-get install libstdc++2.10-glibc2.2
2) Rebuild /etc/modules.conf to make lp0 work again:
/usr/sbin/update-modules
reload parport module or restart your system.
3) Firefox uses lpr and for some reason Samsung's replacement didn't
work for me. It gave me an idea though - link lpr to kprinter:
ln -sf /usr/bin/kprinter /usr/bin/lpr
and you will get full scale control over how your web pages are
printed out. Or you can restore the original lpr:
mv /usr/bin/lpr.orig /usr/bin/lpr

After these, everything works. From command line, Opera, Firefox, Kate,
OpenOffice.

Hope this is useful,
Alex.