HD install broken?

What is the correct way to install full Debian on the PC without CD-ROM
or network connection? I downloaded the 7 CD iso files and put them
into root dir
on ext2 partition on my portable USB harddisk. I booted from DOS using loadllin
and vmlinuz / initrd.gz (downloaded from the /hd-install/ directory on
Debian mirror). Installer starts, detects the USB harddisk
automatically, detects the ISO
("debian-30r2-i386-binary-1_NONUS.iso") but then error window appears
with something along the lines "There was error reading from CD-ROM.
Verify that this is the correct ISO. Retry"? When I run "search for
ISO files" again, it correctly finds the ISO file on the USB disk
again but then again immediately stops with the same error.

When I look at the log (Alt F4), I see that installer displayed 4
error messages saying "warning:[some long filename] not found in [some
long path in the ISO]/Release". When I break into the shell, I see
that /cdrom/ is correctly mounted, "Release" file is present and
contains some filenames and checksums. However, those filenames are
really slightly different from the filenames that installer is looking
for!

Do I have wrong ISOs or wrong hd-installer (initrd.gz is 3171569 bytes long)?

--
Frantisek Fuka (yes, that IS my real name)
(and it's pronounced "Fran-tjee-shek Foo-kah")