Re: how can I put an acpi laptop to sleep?

At Thu, 09 Dec 2004 07:10:58 -0600,
Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:

> H. S. wrote:
> > Apparently, _John Covici_, on 08/12/04 15:56,typed:
> >
> >> Hi.  I have an IBM thinkpad and I installed Debian on it and got a
> >> daemon called sleepd -- however it wants a command to actually put the
> >> machine to sleep. Its default was apm -s which of course never worked
> >> because the machine is an acpi machine.
> >>
> >> Any suggestions will be appreciated.

What you want is S3 sleep. I don't thing that echo 3 > /proc/acpi/sleep works
anymore, I think that that is the deprecated implementation. I'm not sure which
is the right way to initiate the other option, either

echo mem > /sys/power/state
or
echo standby > /sys/power/state

It doesn't work on all machines though so your millage may vary here.

> > Maybe you want to have a look at this:
> >
> > http://softwaresuspend.berlios.de/
> >
> > ->HS
> >

> Anyone with experience of using this vs. the 2.6 native option?

I never used the 2.6 native option (didn't work when I tried around 2.6.6 and I
haven't tried since), only this one, which also works for 2.4 kernels. Its
usually very stable, although a bit dynamic so it comes and goes for some
people. It does have a lot more features then the 2.6 native option. Some main
ones are initrd support (it can be compiled as a module), compression of the
image (lzf and gzip), using encrypted swap (Takes a bit of work to get working
at the moment) and quite a few more. I also supports swap files.

There is talk for quite some time now about including it into the stock kernel
but it will probably take a bit more time.

Now it also supports saving the image but then going into S3 sleep so wake is
fast but no data is lost if the battery runs out.