hardware raid card recognition before mount of /lib/modules/2.6.9-1-386 and raid2

Hi,
I just installed a debian system on a machine that stores data on a hardware
raid 3ware 7806-5 and another system that uses an adaptec 2400a. both are ata
hardware raid devices. During bootup, the boot halts while going
through /etc/rcS.d/ when it runs S30checkfs.sh because the kernel module
(either 3w-xxxx or the one for adaptec) is  not loaded and it cant run
fsck.ext3 on /dev/sda1. I cant just run S36discover earlier, because at that
point in the boot the file system /lib/modules/2.6.9-1-386 is not mounted and
it cant find the module.
I have a workaround of leaving /dev/sda1 out of /etc/fstab, and mounting
manually later in the /etc/rc2.d, but that is not elegant :).
I could compile the kernel to have the 3w-xxxx in the kernel, but it is much
easier for me to use stock debian kernels.
I see that a similar issue is addressed for software raid by having a script
/etc/rcS.d/S24raid2  for the software raid earlier in the boot process.
Is there a simple solution for me : perhaps i copy the 3w-xxxx module itself
to the /boot directory and create a script to run insmod /boot/3w-xxxx
earlier in the boot process?
Thanks,
Mitchell

I notice that