apt-get over SSH - unexpected results

I have difficulties installing a package on a Debian Sarge machine. The
problem is rather strange, installation fails when I run apt-get
remotely over ssh and works fine when I work on the console.

In more details:

If I login to a remove host using ssh and run command

apt-get install fam

everything works perfectly.

However I experience a problem with installing FAM (only fam) using a
script that runs installation command on remove host via SSH.

Remote session gets stack on starting fam daemon.

When terminated by Ctrl-C command process on a remote machine leaves
dirty "lock" /var/lib/dpkg/lock and /var/cache/apt/archives/lock.

"apt-get install pkg_name" would not work on the remote machine until I
remove "dirty" locks and run "dpkg --configure -a" to finish fam
installation.

Problem can be recreate by following steps:

1) Make a bash script install_fam.sh
#!/bin/bash
ssh $1 "apt-get install fam"

2) If fam is installed on the remove machine uninstall it and run the
script to install fam on the remote machine

$ ./install_fam.sh remote_machine

Reading Package Lists...
Building Dependency Tree...
  fam
0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 24 not upgraded.
Need to get 69.2kB of archives.
After unpacking 213kB of additional disk space will be used.
Get:1 ftp://mirror.cse.unsw.edu.au sarge/main fam 2.7.0-6 [69.2kB]
Fetched 69.2kB in 1s (41.4kB/s)
Selecting previously deselected package fam.
(Reading database ... 139246 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking fam (from .../archives/fam_2.7.0-6_i386.deb) ...
Setting up fam (2.7.0-6) ...
Starting file alteration monitor:

# At this point remote process stops indefinitely.

# Pressing Ctrl-C
Killed by signal 2.

There is obviously a bug somewhere but it is not obvious to me where to
report it, is this is this a problem with fam or openssh?

What do I need to do to report this bug.

Thank you in advance.