Mod4 vs. Super_L on Windows Key

I'm having an issue with my Windows key. I'm trying to set up my
keyboard shortcuts in Gnome using the Keyboard Shortcuts tool. I already
have Windows+D set to show desktop. In the shortcut tool this shows up
as Mod4+D.

However, when I try to do another mapping (such as Windows+L for lock
screen) the Windows key is reported as Super_L which is treated as a
regular key instead of a modifier and therefore can't be combined with
another key into a single keypress. Any suggestions?

Alex Malinovich
pgp.net keyservers. Key ID: A6D24837