Re: wi-fi - choice of hardware

On Wed, Dec 08, 2004 at 04:04:43PM +0100, Conrad Newton wrote:

> > Linksys WRT54GS and Sveasoft firmware + fwbuilder. Don't diss Linksys: their
> > firmware is pure crap, but the hardware (radios) is excellent (you'll need
> > better aerials than default ones though).
>
> I just got one of these, but have not set it up yet.
> Which aerial do you recommend?

For home use the default ones are adequate. You will only need others if you
want to increase range (better dB, directional vs. omni) or want weatherproof ones
for outside mounting (there are hacks for PoE and Linksys weatherproofing,
but this can be a lot of work).

There are alternative firmware to Sveasoft's ( http://openwrt.org/ would come
to mind). I use Sveasoft's, since I mostly use the web interface.
Talisman is supposed to be released to paying subscribers quite
soon, so Alchemy will available to the public free of charge.

--
Eugen* Leitl <a href="http://leitl.org";>leitl</a>