Re: java2 on debian

3 ways:

1. use Blackdown.org's deb package: blackdown.org or if you are
mainland china, find source at debian.ustc.edu.cn

2. use sun's bin installation package, it works on debian too

3. download sun's bin pack, then apt-get install java-package, then use:

make-jpkg jre-1_5_0-linux-i586.bin

dpkg -i sun-j2re1.5_1.5.0_i386.deb

apt-get install sun-j2re1.5debian

blackdown's deb is my recommendation, but they are working on 1.5 now.
1.4.2 is available.