Re: Command line network monitoring tool

On Tue, Dec 07, 2004 at 05:19:08PM -0500, Ben Russo wrote:
> p wrote:
> >i just tried to install "nagios-common" and it
> >removed a lot of my good programs--gimp, xine,
> >mplayer....  that doesn't even begin to scratch
> >the surface.  (i'm still trying to access the
> >totality of what it removed.)  from what's left,
> >i may have to rebuild the box.  (mplayer won't
> >even install now.)
> >
> >why would a "network monitoring tool" need to
> >decimate a system?
> >
> >it jacked me up!
> >
> >i was running sid.
> >

> When you run commands read the output before typing "y" and hitting enter.
>  apt-get install
> or the synaptic GUI, or aptitude
> will warn you about what packages it will add/remove/upgrade when you
> ask them to install a new package.

//

i remember seeing that it was around a 40mb
download, but i'm  pretty much certain that
it didn't mention anythinng about removing
30-40 packages.

//

> You are running "sid" the name sid comes from the movie "Toy-Story" Sid
> was the kid next door who broke all the toys.  Sid has all the latest
> and greatest packages, but it is unstable.  Package incompatabilities
> exist, and because of that you need to be carefull when installing things.

//

yes, running sid ("still in development," af-
fectionately) is living on the wild side; and
i knew that any update/upgrade has the poten-
tial of breakage.  (it was time for me to
experience it first hand.)

//

> Probably you tried to install a version of "nagios" that had
> dependencies for a package that was incompatable with some package that
> you already had installed on your box.

//

yes, most likely.

//

> The install method (apt,synaptic, aptitude ...) that you used probably
> warned you about what it would need to add/remove/upgrade/install in
> order to fulfill your request, but you didn't read the warning, instead
> you just hit "y, > enter"  The package that was incompatible with some
> nagios dependency was probably a pre-requisite for a whole bunch of other
> packages.  Which your package tool dutifully removed because you told  it
> to do so.
>
> Having an OS that does what you tell it to and lets you configure it
> your way is incompatible with having an OS that holds your hand and
> keeps you from messing things up.
>
> -Ben.

//

agreed!