Re: Command line network monitoring tool

El Tue, Dec 07, 2004 at 03:09:58PM -0600 Jacob S ha dit:

> On Tue, 07 Dec 2004 16:01:07 -0500
> Andrés Roldán <aroldan@debian.org> wrote:
>
> > Michael Madden <madden@cmsrtp.com> writes:
> >
> > > Are there any network monitoring tools that monitor the availability
> > > of network resources (HTTP, IMAP, POP3, IMAP, SSH, NNTP, FTP, DNS,
> > > RSYNC) that I can run from the command line?  Right now I'm using a
> > > shell script that checks if the machine is pingable, but I'm finding
> > > that often the service has died but the machine is still reachable
> > > with ping.
>
> > Nagios may help.
>
> I'll second that. We're using it for several servers at work with great
> success. It's even in Sarge now.

another option is 'mon':

 monitor hosts/services/whatever and alert about problems
 "mon" is a tool for monitoring the availability of services.
 Services may be network-related, environmental conditions, or
 anything that can be tested with software.  If a service is
 unavailable mon can tell you with syslog, email, your pager or a
 script of your choice. You can control who gets each alert based on
 the time of day or day of week, and you can control how often an
 existing problem is re-alerted.
 .
 More information can be found at http://www.kernel.org/software/mon/

--
            You can chain me, you can torture me, you can even
          destroy this body, but you will never imprison my mind

             ( ( ( i ) ) )  http://indymedia.org  ( ( ( i ) ) )

      *  using free software / Debian GNU/Linux | http://debian.org  *

gpg --keyserver keys.indymedia.org --recv-keys B9A88F6F