Re: logging of dpkg actions

On Sun, Dec 05, 2004 at 05:12:49PM +0100, J.Rinas wrote:
> Hello!
>
> Is there a a logfile anywhere for the actions dpkg did....
> ... like installation/deinstallation/update of packages?
>
> If there is no logfile, Is there another chance to get this Information?
>
> I'd like to follow what happens to my system....
> ... apt-listchanges is nice, but it is too detailed to present this
> information to all users.
>
> I'm thinking of a kind of web page (dynamically build) with an overview
> of what happened during the last 4 weeks....
> ... including links to the detailed changelog files
>
>   Jürgen
> --
> e-mail: jrinas@gmx.de

Hi Jurgen,
here is a little script I made that seems to help:
1) cp /usr/bin/dpkg /usr/bin/dpkg.real
2) use vi to edit /usr/bin/dpkg and replace it with this:
-----------------------
#!/bin/sh
if [ -w /var/log/dpkg.log ]; then
echo "$(date) dpkg $@" >> /var/log/dpkg.log
fi
dpkg.real $@
-------------
this logs most (not sure all commands) to /var/log/dpkg.log
-Kev
--
counter.li.org #238656 -- goto counter.li.org and be counted!

        (__)
        (oo)
  /------\/
 / |    ||