Re: Package to block random SSH login attempts?

On Sat, 2004-12-04 at 11:42 -0500, Adam Rosi-Kessel wrote:
> Is there any Debian package (or free software outside of Debian) that can
> detect random ssh login attempts and blacklist (temporarily or
> permanently) the IP address?
>
> portsentry is similar but not quite on point.  As I understand it,
> portsentry will block port scanners, but not people attempting random
> logins.
>
> What I'd like to do is block a particular IP address if there are more
> than, say, 5 attempted logins from nonexistent usernames, and more than
> 10 failed logins from existent usernames.
>
> I've written the following little hack to do it, but I don't particularly
> like running untested hacks as root, and also it'd be preferable if the
> blacklisting could happen immediately, rather than as an occasional cron
> job.

Something that continuously tails might get around the "occasional
cron job" problem.  Since group adm has +r access to /var/log/syslog,
a user that belongs to group adm may be the key.

Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson, LA USA

484,246 sq mi (1,254,197 sq km) are needed for 6 billion people
to live, 4 persons per lot, in lots that are 60'x150' (a nice
suburban US plot).
That is ~ California, Texas and Missouri.
Alternatively, France, Spain and The United Kingdom.