Re: Installing Debian on USB HDD

On Sat, 2004-12-04 at 15:56 -0600, Ron Johnson wrote:
> On Sun, 2004-12-05 at 00:50 +0000, Jean-Michel Hiver wrote:
> > Johnson, Chad wrote:
[snip]
> > Actually I would be interested in knowing how to do this too. What I
> > would want to do is install a minimal debian system on 1gb flash usb 2
> > with maybe 1gb memory (to avoid swapping on flash...). Coupled with a
> > low power / underclocked CPU, you could make very robust, fanless and
> > noiseless workstations with no mechanical parts in them...
>
> There are ways to make bootable thumbdrives, so I'm sure that you
> could do the same with a flash drive.
>
> In fact, when Googling for "linux boot usb drive", the first two
> entries are:
> http://www.simonf.com/usb/
> http://featherlinux.berlios.de/usb-instructions.htm

In fact, as usual, apt-cache is your friend...

  $ apt-cache search boot usb
  devfsd - Daemon for the device file system
  lg-issue63 - Issue 63 of the Linux Gazette.
  mkinitrd-cd - Creates an initrd image for booting from a live
                CD-ROM or USB device

mkinitrd-cd looks to be exactly what you need.

Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson, LA USA

Capitalism needs a culture of shame to work properly.
Paraphrased from Victor David Hansen, seen on CSPAN 2004-03-07