Re: M$ USB-key

On Sat, 2004-12-04 at 18:39 +0530, Sridhar M.A. wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 04, 2004 at 11:53:07AM +0100, Yevgen Reznichenko wrote:
>    > Hello,
>    >
>    > I have again troubles to run M$ mess on my linux machine (sid, 2.4.27,
>    > 2.6.9), but now it is software it is hardware. I got an USB-Memory-stick
>    > from M$ and can't mount it. Actually the stick is from Swissbit and
>    > according to its homepage it is supported by 2.4+ kernels. How can I run
>    > this thing under my machine?
>    >
>    > Here is dmesg output:
>    >
>    > hub.c: new USB device 00:07.2-1, assigned address 3
>    > usb.c: kmalloc IF c5216d60, numif 1
>    > usb.c: new device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3
>    > usb.c: USB device number 3 default language ID 0x409
>    > Manufacturer: SWISSBIT
>    > Product: Twist
>    > SerialNumber: 408E8FAE062113B6
>    > WARNING: USB Mass Storage data integrity not assured
>    > USB Mass Storage device found at 3
>    > usb.c: usb-storage driver claimed interface c5216d60
>    > usb.c: kusbd: /sbin/hotplug add 3
>    > usb.c: kusbd policy returned 0xfffffffe
>    > hub.c: port 2, portstatus 100, change 0, 12 Mb/s
>    >
>    > Here is the error message:
>    >
>    > $ mount /mnt/usb/
>    > mount: /dev/sda1 is not a valid block device
>    >
> I had somewhat similar problem when I tried using my Apacer USB stick on
> my machine. It was perfectly readable and writable under M$, but not
> even recognised under linux. What the manual suggested somewhere is that
> it had to be formatted under Linux using mkfs.vfat or mkfs.msdos. I went
> with the latter and till date have no problems.
>
> Possible solution for your stick:
>
>   Try cfdisk /dev/sda
>
>   If your system can recognise it, then follow the above procedure of
>   creating a partition and formatting it as dos partition from Linux. Do
>   not do it from M$.

You'd think, though, that syslog would at least mention /dev/sda.

Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson, LA USA

"If Congress can employ money indefinitely to the general
welfare, they may take the care of religion into their own hands;
they may appoint teachers in every state, county, and parish, and
pay them out of the public treasury: they may take into their own
hands the education of children, establishing in like manner
schools throughout the Union: they may seek the provision of the
poor ... [all of which] would subvert the very foundations, and
transmute the very nature of the limited government established
by the people of America."
James Madison, 1789