LVM and pvmove questions ...

Hi,

before I start with my questions, let me say that I have read all of the included lvm10 docs and
manpages but haven't found any answers to my questions, therefore I am here now.

As stated above I am using lvm10 on woody with some backports from backports.org and other
sources (in case this should be/get important).

The scenario is as follows:

- There is 1 volume group for the system, with logical volumes for /home, /usr ...
This group is on the physical volume /dev/hda, connected to the parallel ATA of the mainboard.
This information is probably irrelevant, but better to tell ya then not to ...

- There is another volume group, let's call it vgData, which contains just one logical volume,
let's call it lvData and is spread across two physical volumes /dev/hde and /dev/hdg,
both connected to a S-ATA host (HighPoint RocketRaid 1520). The discs are used in JBOD-mode (Just
a bunch of discs), no RAID-level selected.

The task is as follows:

- There is no capacity left on lvData, therefore I want to replace 1 of the drives with a bigger one.
The new bigger drive is a S-ATA drive.

The possibilities might be:

1. Using pvmove to move the data from 1 disc onto a backup disc (attached as /dev/hdc, parallel ATA),
replace the unused drive with the new one and pvmove the data from the backup disc onto the new one.
This would mean to loose backup for the time of the operation and in case of a system crash loss of
all data (or is there a way to securely move the physical extents from one disc to another?).
Seems unaccaptable to me.

2. Copy the whole data onto the backup discs, replace the drive, copy the whole data back. This will
take MANY hours on a PII-750 and 400GB data. So I would prefer possibility one, if there is a SAFE
way.

3. Backup all the data, attach the new drive to a NEW additional controller, pvmove the data, detach
the unused disc. Now I would like to move the new drive to the old controller, but I haven't found
any way to tell LVM that the physical drive /dev/hdx should be /dev/hdy after the next boot. (Not
hot-swapping, sigh). Or is there a way with lvm2? This would be the best solution for me, IF there
is a way to remap the physical drive inside lvm tables.

I really hope to get some suggestions from you.

Yours sincerly,

W. la Tendresse