Re: OT: down with memory protection!

On Thursday 02 December 2004 17:26, Ron Johnson wrote:

> I'm pretty sure that they are distinct features, i.e., it's possible
> to do mem prot w/o VM , and vice versa.

I should've said "virtual memory as implemented by modern Unix systems".

Sam, to clarify: since the VM abstracts physical addresses away from
programs anyway, memory protection is largely a result of the fact that
programs simply cannot address memory outside of their abstraction.  You
can't write to another program's memory if you think that the whole address
range belongs to you in the first place.  In effect, each program thinks
that it owns the entire machine.

> You think this guy is a CompSci student with just enough knowledge
> to be dangerous?

I kind of got that idea.  :)
--
Kirk Strauser