Re: "Grub Hard Disk Error", after installing from sarge floppies

Joao Clemente wrote:
[snip]
3) install into the boot sector of the partition (/dev/hda1 ) instead MBR of the disk ( /dev/hda )
    - but the mbr must be empty too

I am not certain of you're refering to grub, lilo, or both. I see no reason why grub (or lilo) would fail when installed in MBR but suceed when installed in /dev/hda1... and, btw, can grub be placed in /dev/hda1? I've done this with lilo, but never seen it done with grub...
[...]

Ok, it is possible to install grub in /dev/hda1 and in fact the installer allow us to say where we want to place it if we say NO to "install grub in MBR?"

My problem is solved!
I have no ideia why, but installing grub in /dev/hda1 allowed me to boot the machine without a problem!

Thanks to all that replied!
Joao Clemente