Re: 2.6.7 kernel panic

Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:

> machoamerica wrote:
> > i compiled the 2.6.7 kernel from source using make-kpkg. when i
> > boot i get this:
> >
> > UDF-fs: No partition found (1)
> > Kernel panic: VFS: unable to mount root fs on unknown block(3,4)

[snip]

> > worse, my old 2.4.18 kernel no longer works.
>
> Meaning? What do you get when you select Linux 2.4?

when booting to 2.4 i get the same two error messages as above, the UDF-fs and kernel panic ones.  installing what (i think) was my previous lilo.conf did not help, although i didn't actually save my earlier version, so i can't be 100% sure i didn't change anything (silly me).

> You verified that the symlinks actually point to what they must
> point to?

indeed,
/vmlinuz -> /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.7
/vmlinuz.old -> /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.18_i386
/initrd.img -> /boot/initrd-2.6.7.img
/initrd.img.old -> /boot/initrd-2.4.18_i386.img

all of which exist.  the windows 98 partition still boots properly.

would this question be better asked to the debian-kernel list?  it seems like they're more concerned with the kernel's inner workings and might not want to be bothered with issues like this.

thanks again,
macho