Re: rescue disk

On Tue, 2004-11-30 at 16:29, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
> George Iordanou wrote:
> > I want to create a rescue disk. I went to debian's official webpage
> > and i downloaded the unstable version which consists of the following
> > files:
> >
> > boot.img
> > cd-drivers.img
> > net-drivers.img
> > root.img
> >
> > How can i create a bootable rescue disk? I want to get into my system
> > using the floppy's kernel.
> >

> Is a bootable rescue CD OK? mkrescue is part of Lilo and creates either
> floppies or CD with "mkrescue --iso", which iso your burn with cdrecord.
>
> I modified mkrescue --iso, which is a script, to come up with a menu
> that actually says which partition is going to boot, rather than "Linux".
>
> Booting that CD gives you the option of using the partition you ran
> mkrescue from or what is on the MBR ("harddisk").

dfsbuild is a Sarge package. I have not tried it, but it produces a
grub-booting CD ISO for you to burn:

Debian From Scratch (DFS) is a live bootable CD that is designed to
provide a fully-featured kernel and a fully-featured rescue environment.
The rescue environment contains filesystem tools, editors, C development
environment, etc.

Chris.
--
Chris Lale <chrislale@untrammelled.co.uk>