Re: iTunes Replacement for Linux

On Nov 29 2004, Mike wrote:
> I use my ipod frequently.  What program would you guys recommend I use
> in a linux world.

For using your iPod, there seems to be two options: gtkpod and gnupod-tools
(the latter being a suite of scripts).

For playing your songs, the closest things that I know are rhythmbox and
juk (but I have never used the latter, only the former).

If you discover other applications in the vein of iTunes, please let me
know. It still is my "killer" application and the very reason why I still
keep MacOS X in my iBook. That and the mass tagging and the automatic
organization of files based on metadata are really nice.

Right now, I'm using easytag to mass tag my files (and the command line
programs mp3check and id3v2 as helpers), but it is not as convenient as
doing everything from just one application.

I think that iTunes unites an amazin set of resources together that makes
the life of its users so easy. It should be the prototype of application to
pursue, as far as I am regarded (yes, yes, I know that it doesn't follow
the unix paradigm of a set of small tools, with each one doing one job and
doing it well, but iTunes works impressively well).

But there's one thing that I *don't* do in iTunes, though: ripping CDs with
grip and encoding them with faac and/or lame. The cdparanoia library
embedded in grip and the automatic use of FreeDB is the reason for this,
together with my ability of using more than one CD-drive in my desktop for
ripping my collection of CDs.

Anyway, I just hope that we soon have a Desktop-agnostic version of iTunes
for Linux (I use fluxbox on an old machine with low RAM). I want to be DFSG
as much as I can.

Hope this helps, Rogério Brito.

--
Learn to quote e-mails decently at: