Thanks to Kent West et al

A few days ago I started what turned out to be a very long thread about my
attempts, as a newbie, to get my new Debian installation working properly.
I disappeared for a few days because my monitor blew up so I couldn't even
use the Debian box, but I now have a new monitor.

My last remaining big headache was that my USB mouse wasn't working
properly.  However, the mouse came with a PS/2 adaptor, so I plugged it in
as a PS/2 mouse, and now it worketh fine!

The only remaining problem - at least for the time being :-) - is an error
message that reads "Can't find file pc/uk for symbols include" whenever I
startx.  However, this is very minor, and doesn't seem to actually break
anything.

So thanks to the infinitely patient Kent and everyone else who helped - you
are stars all!

Best wishes,

Brian