Re: VNC server desktop environment?

On Mon, Nov 22, 2004 at 12:23:42PM -0600, Eric Scott wrote:
>On Monday 22 November 2004 10:18 am, Stephen Patterson wrote:
>> On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 13:00:18 +0100, Jon Dowland wrote:
>> > it might  be reading ~/.xinitrc or ~/.xsession. Put the KDE window
>> > manager binary path into that. I can'tremember what it's called, but
>> > for another window manager (say, pwm) you'd have
>> > /usr/bin/pwm
>>
>> VNC  reads ~/.vnc/xstartup IIRC
>
>When I start the VNC server it says it's "starting applications
>specified in /etc/X11/Xsession"
>I don't have a ~/.vnc/xstartup file or whatever... if I create one is
>VNC likely to still read from it?

I think it depends on what VNC server you have installed. I recently
switched from vncserver to vnc4server, and it seems it then switched
from using /etc/X11/Xsession (and ~/.Xsession) to ~/.vnc/xstartup.

The default ~/.vnc/xstartup uses x-window-manager, and you can change
that using update-alternatives. Otherwise just edit ~/.vnc/xstartup
yourself to get it to start whatever window environment you want.

/M

magnus@therning.org
http://magnus.therning.org/

Si hoc non legere potes tu asinus es.
(If you can't read this you are an ass.)