30-minutes with scripts [was Re: Fixing boot problems with grub]

On Sun, Nov 28, 2004 at 07:57:20AM -0600, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
> >For now I just reinstalled the OS.  It takes me 30 minutes with scripts.
> >But I looked like a tool having to do that.
>
> What does "30 minutes with scripts" mean?

I talked about this a year ago.  Several people told me with chroot and
partimage, I could restore a clean OS image in a couple minutes, which
is basically what I do with XP, but I keep a partial mirror of the sid
debs I use and point apt to that.   My "30 minutes" is:

(1) Install Sarge, wipe the disk, use one giant partition for
everything. (10 minutes?)
(2) Install nothing during Sarge.
(3) Mount my apt repository, point apt to it.
(4) aptitude install everything in that repository.  (20 minutes?)
(5) Reboot.
(6) Manually run a script which does everything else I need to do to the
system.
(7) Log in as non-user, run a script which sets up the profile.

Probably takes closer to 40 minutes, but I do this process every couple
months.  I treat home as transient; I treat the whole system as
transient.

I know you all probably find this process shlocky but it works for me,
because apt is so nice.  With XP I use partimage.