Re: Relationship between "discover" and "hotplug"

Christian Convey wrote:
> I'm using Sarge with a 2.6.9-1 kernel. Can anyone help me understand the
> relationship between "discover" and "hotplug" in my system?
>
> The reason I'm confused is that both seem to be involved in making the
> system aware of connected hardware, but I'm not sure how they fit
> together in 2.6/Sarge.

Rather badly. Discover takes care of loading appropriate modules for PCI
devices based on a hardware database that is as correct and complete as
a year of installer testing can make it. Hotplug takes care of USB
hardware, and can also load modules for PCI devices; it does this based
on information in the kernel modules themselves, which can occasionally
be wrong.

--
see shy jo