Re: debian cd boot parameters

On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 16:41:37 -0200, Frederico Rodrigues Abraham
<devotion97@gmail.com> wrote:
>     Hi. I am willing to install a second operating system on one of my
> partitions and am afraid that it will scramble my disk boot sector.
>     In case this happens, how can i recover it later?
>     I could boot into my linux through the cd and run grub-install to
> reinstall my boot sector...
>     Unfortunately I haven't been able to boot using the cd...
>     I use the line: linux root=/dev/hda8 (my / partition) but i get a
> kernel panic for having no valid root on hda8... is this because I
> have an ext3 partition and the cd kernel does not support it?
>     How can I do it?

You boot with the rescue CD, mount your partion RW, chroot your
partition, cd to the chrooted partition and then you can try to fix
the MBR.

Or  in the case only the MBR is broken, you can use a boot floppy, on
Debian there's a script called "grub-floppy" that you can use to
create one.

Andrea