Re: d-i rc2: boot linux26 vs. default

Joey Hess wrote:
Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:

Hi Debian!

I have problems with the Sarge d-i freezing on my system using the "linux26" boot option.

Yesterday tried rc2: same thing. Freezes at "installing partitioner".

BUT: using the default, no boot options, works ok. It installs 2.4.27.

Question:

Linux26 installs 2.6.8.1 which I would not use anyway. What is the difference between using the d-i default, then installing the 2.6.9 kernel image,

and

using the linux26 option (if it worked) and *then* installing the 2.6.9 kernel image?

There must be more differences than just the kernel image, otherwise why would it consistently hang using linux26?

Booting with linux26 causes the installer to run using a 2.6 kernel.

FWIW, today I booted rc2 2x in expert26 and 1x in linux26 with success.
Yesterday linux26 hung in "setting up makedev"
11/24/2004 linux26 hung once in "Installing Partitioner" and once in "DEBUG: virtual package HD detection". I am keeping a list of when OK and when not: same rc2, same system, same partition.